Become a Director
Thank you for your interest in working with and for the South Huron Chamber of Commerce. As a not-for-profit, our goal is to serve our member businesses according to their stated priorities.
Join our Board of Directors – Board Meetings are held on the third Thursday of the Month from 5-6:30 pm. Any SHCC member is eligible to serve as a Board Director including business owners or their staff.
See here for a Board Director Job Application
Join an SHCC Committee – Contact the Chamber office for more information or to join a committee such as:
- Other as needed
What to know about being a director on The SHCC Board of Directors
The Board will support the work of the South Huron Chamber of Commerce and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by SHCC executive director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. A time commitment of 5-10 hours/month is required. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as s/he develops and implements SHCCs strategic plan
- Supporting fundraising and events as well as reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving SHCC’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing SHCC to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring SHCC’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities SHCC serves
SHCC’s Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for two additional terms. Additional extensions can be proposed at the discretion of the SHCC Board. Board meetings will be held monthly and committee meetings will be held as needed.
This is a great opportunity for an individual who is passionate about SHCC’s mission and in impacting a positive economic future for the South Huron community. A track record of board leadership and nonprofit sector experience is welcome.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of SHCC’s mission and relationships with various stakeholders including members, other business organizations, government and the public.
- A collaborative mindset and personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a desire to affect positive change.
Service on SHCC’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.